Pages

Sunday 18 January 2015

Practice

So, as I mentioned in my last post, my mentor asked me if I was willing to take pictures for an event at my church on December 6th. I hesitated when she first asked me, and I think she could tell I was kinda scared because she told me I could just have my camera on auto, so I wouldn't have to do anything except press the shutter button. At first I thought I would just have it on auto, but I figured I might as well practice what I've learned. So for most of the time, I had my shutter speed on 1/80, my aperture (or f stop) at around 5.4, my ISO between 3400-6200 and my white balance on the tungsten setting.

I woke up really early that morning to get ready and also because I wanted to research some tips and stuff for taking pictures of kids, and in churches. The only thing is... I didn't end up doing that. I woke up and while I was getting ready I noticed that the sunrise looked kinda cool. I figured I might as well venture out and take some pictures quickly, but "quickly" turned into half an hour. I walked outside for half an hour, my hair literally frozen and feeling in my fingers and toes gone... But I think it was worth it.
I'll post some of the pictures soon! 

After I came inside I had to quickly get ready to take pictures at the breakfast at my church. The children's ministry director informed me of the kinds of pictures she wanted, most of them being close ups of kids with their parents. She also explained what the purpose of the breakfast was. It was just a connecting type thing for parents and kids, and they also learned and heard about the Christmas story. It was actually super fun! The kids did crafts and there was a bouncy castle, and songs and short videos. I took way more pictures than I expected to, and editing them has been a long process because the program I had planned on originally using doesn't work on my computer so I've been testing out new ones.  The only bad thing is that because I had my ISO so high, the pictures turned out grainy/fuzzy. Also, my legs hurt for a while after because I was constantly on the ground taking pictures of the kids. Because they are so small I had to get on my knees a lot so I was on their level. 

Unfortunately I won't be able to post them due to the policy my church has, but all in all it was a great first experience. 


No comments:

Post a Comment