Pages

Friday 17 October 2014

My Passion Project

For my passion project and 20% time project I chose to do photography. photography is something that I have been interested in for a few years but I've never really learned how to use a camera properly and to its full advantage. My interest in photography started when I was in grade seven. At my youth, we had a small photography group where we would just go out and explore and take pictures. I didn't really learn anything from the group, but it definitely sparked and deepened my interest for photography.

I'm not exactly sure what this project will look like just yet, but I'm excited for it. It's going to be so spontaneous and opened ended. My major goal for this project is to learn how to work a camera properly and learn editing techniques. I hope to do a photo shoot with a friend, and also just explore Winnipeg and its surroundings and capture things that catch my eye. 

Something I will struggle with during this project is showing my work to others. I find it scary because everyone has different taste and perspective on things. Everyone sees through a lens differently. We all interpret pictures, and art differently. It kind of shows our individuality in a way. I am not really not one for putting my work out there for others to see because I am afraid of what they will think. So not only do I hope to learn more about photography, I hope that I will be able to overcome my little "fear" of putting myself out there and showing others what I can do.

When a friend of mine heard what I was doing for my passion project, she asked me if I would be willing to take pictures of her and her boyfriend. Immediately I said no, but I've been thinking a lot recently and I've decided it is something I would like to try out! So my end goal is not only to just know how to work my camera, but to do at least one photoshoot. I want to do one in the winter, because I love the snow and it looks really pretty, but it might be a little tricky because snow tends to reflect the sun a lot and the lighting may be hard to work with. Another factor is that because winter can be so cold, that means my cameras battery is going to die a lot faster, but I'm hoping that the snow and cold will not cause major problems for me! 

1 comment:

  1. Nicole,

    Thank you for sharing your fears in this post. Every artist, every maker/creator has to deal with the feelings you describe, and by sharing them, you help everyone else deal with those feelings because they can identify with you and then they don't feel like the only one. That lesson alone is already an important contribution. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.

    ReplyDelete